Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Week 14 - Last days

This final week of class we did a two hour pose of the full figure as our final drawing. I felt this turned out moderately well. I think the biggest thing I struggled with was the face, hands, and arms (which we did not cover but I felt pretty confident about) I think my ongoing struggle even after this class is over is my fight with proportion. If you look at the figure's hand you can see quite clearly that it is COMPLETELY over-sized. I do want to keep practicing the face and full body figures so that I don't lose all of the skill at drawing that I've acquired over the past
semester.

For our final homework piece we had to do another large scale drawing this time using ink washes for shading. I was very disgruntled considering my aversion to our last large-scale drawing. But I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this drawing. I was finally able to capture the spiral in the shell. And even though I didn't push the ink work as dark as I could have I think that the low contrast shadows go well and doesn't detract from the shape of the shell.

Overall I think this class was absolutely worth it. I was just as excited at the end of the semester as I was before I started. I didn't question the knowledge I was gaining and I do find myself looking at the world and drawing differently because of it. My biggest complication is still bringing everything together but I think that will come with practice and time. I look forward to pursuing more life drawing classes in coming semesters and I know that this information will stick with me the rest of my college career, and even longer.

Thanks for an AMAZING semester Amy!

Flickr Portfolio
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44120054@N06/

No comments:

Post a Comment